Tswalu to Cape Town - Day Twenty

Moonset over the Kalahari Desert 5am, Tswalu, South Africa. March 2013 Original size 5121x3744px. (Gerald FitzGerald)Last game drive before we leave for Cape Town and we finished on a high note. We were trying to get back in time for breakfast and the massages that we had arranged on the previous day to set us right after our horse ride. Because of time constraints, no major projects planned; we were going to check on the pride that we had seen the day before. Sunrise over the Kalahari Desert, Tswalu, South Africa. March 2013. Original size 5616x3571px. (Gerald FitzGerald)Once more Sammy showed his talents. The lions had moved during the night and it took about 40 minutes of working our way over the ground before we tracked them to a very wide area of veldt; stopped listened and so worked our way cross country when we could all hear periodic rumbles and crunches. Came upon them in two groups, about 10 metres apart, each working their way through a mountain zebra and her foal, which they had killed a couple of hours before. Lioness on zebra kill, Tswalu, South Africa. March 2013. Original size 3757x2693px. (Gerald FitzGerald)The largest group was working on the big zebra and as it was dangerous to get between the two groups, we positioned ourselves as close to the big group as we could, about 3 or 4 metres away and spent the better part of an hour watching them at their bloody work. Once again fabulous shots. Unpleasant I know, but from a wildlife photographic perspective, a fabulous way to end our safari trips.Lioness defending a kill, Tswalu, South Africa. March 2013. Original size 3913x2923px. (Gerald FitzGerald)

Had a quick look back at earlier photos from meerkat shoot; I had tried to shoot them from behind so that I would get a back-lit, sunlight halo through their fur as they faced the rising sun. When I looked at the pictures of them with their backs to me and their little paws in front of them, they looked like a line of little, old men peeing against a wall. Very charming!

Breakfast, massages, packing and ready to leave at 13:30 for Cape Town on the same exec turbo that we had arrived on. On our way to the airstrip Marco drove us through the staff village and the backstage area of the camp. Fascinating, and the subject for an essay, but you’ll be relieved to hear, typing finger getting tired so will call this to a halt for now.

Arrived in Cape Town, picked up car and drove to our house in Hout Bay. I’m sure it’ll be ok, but after all the wonderful places and safari camps where we have stayed, it is taking a little time to get used to. The sunsets in Cape Town are quite dramatic; the sky was burnished blue and cloudless in the afternoon, but as the sun began to set, banks and wisps of clouds began to try and drift over the top of the mountains surrounding Hout Bay. They appeared to be in a titanic battle with winds at the top of the mountains and roiled and boiled around, getting darker and darker, but never quite were allowed to cascade into the Hout Bay lowlands. Looked very portentous and seemed to suggest a massive storm on the way but we were told that it’s a standard issue sunset and will be a sunny day tomorrow.

Cape Town - Day Twenty-one

Tswalu - Day Nineteen